Worktrade, Helpx, woof

(Lloyd ) #1

Curious what a lot of rewilders setups are. Nomadic? Settled in spurts or long term? I still own land on east coast in rural north central pa. Not sure how much longer but it’s cheap and a place I have considered for my older future at times and I can be living legally. I have pics of it on my FB as well as the pack donkey I walked around with for a few months. Lloyds Ryan Beere. But I’m also a restless dude and am now in a renovation house on the Oregon coast for how long I have not a clue. I have helpx-ed one time on a sheep farm in Kentucky. It was cool but yet again I hit a point where I missed family and was lonely etc. It seems sedentarism I can only take well for a month or so. Whose nomadic or settled? Take care all.

Feralculture, Amish people and low tech communities in a modern world
(Sam) #2

I just want to remark something very important that you said and I quot:

It was cool but yet again I hit a point where I missed family and was lonely

I think that in the feral, hunter-gatherer culture, as in Permaculture, community is the most important part of this kind of lifestyle. There is no point about living a lonely hunter-gatherer lifestyle. We need people around us all the time, like traditional cultures, and be able to create a community that survives us. A culture where our children want to stay and keep living that way.

I may start a new topic about this issue. But I just want to point out that the Amish people are a great reference to learn how to perpetuate an alternative society in a modern, developed country,

All the best

(Lloyd ) #3

Oh god yes I agree. I used to, up till like a month ago, believe that I was going to live as a hermit rewilders. Not the case now. I better appreciate family. I’m living within spitting distance of my sister and don’t mind at all. She’s not really into feral culture but it’s still nice to see a face I recognize and can relate to on certain things. Community is definitely something I’ve lacked in my life. Yes please start a thread. Alienation from our own kind can be raw.

(Andrew) #4

One model with some successes, yes. They are also an example of reproducing the same foundations of agrarian hierarchy upon which modern society is built. As well, their success in raising children who want to live in the culture they were raised in is questionable. To the extent children choose to live the Amish life, much of it seems somewhat begrudging and relating to a lack of desirable alternatives.

I don’t think anyone here is suggesting the Amish as a perfect model, but if we are to use them as a model, it makes good sense to try to avoid the negatives to the extent that’s possible.

One thing separating the Amish from “intentional communities” in general is that the Amish subsistence mode (agrarian) matches their social structure (hierarchy). Given alternatives, humans don’t typically choose hierarchical structures, so we can see one front for improvement.

As well, intentional communities which mismatch agrarian subsistence modes with hunter-gatherer social modes face a different set of problems.

(Sam) #5

Andrew, I agree with you about the Amish not being a “perfect model”. But they offer very helpful clues about how to create an alternative community that doesn’t embrace new technologies right away. They make very conscious decisions about how much modernity they want to introduce in their communities. Before taking a new technology, they ask themselves how that may affect their lifestyle. If they think that the new technology would affect in a bad way their lifestyle, they don’t allow it in their community. I would have loved to see First people take that strategy and keep hunting and gathering and living the old way.