Feralculture, Amish people and low tech communities in a modern world

(Sam) #1

Hello folks,

I think it would be a good idea to start a new topic about how to create hunter-gatherer communities self-perpetuating in a modern society.

I pointed out in Worktrade, Helpx, woof that Amish people are a good reference to learn about how a low tech culture survives -and actually thrives- in a modern society like the United States.

First of all, I want to make clear that I don’t consider the Amish a perfect society. But that doesn’t mean that we can’t learn something from them. My goal as a feralculturalist, rewilder or hunter-gatherer wanna be is to live in a healthy hunther-gatherer society. And what attracts my attention about the Amish is that they have been able to maintain a traditional lifestyle (low tech christian agrarian culture) in one of the most modern countries in the world.

I will mention a couple of strategies that the Amish people have developed to survive and thrive to the pressures of a highly technological environment.

One of them is the Ordnung, that are a set of ethics, moral codes, and rules that guide the individual life. These ethics are decided autonomously by each community and has prevented the massive adoption of new technologies and modern trends. They question any innovation and its adoption asking how it will affect their lives. Will internet affect our traditional way of life? How about smart phones? Cars? Public education?

Another strategy that has encouraged a lot of young Amish to join their parents in their community is to remove children from public schools. That allows children to be fully immersed in their community and culture.

Finally, I will mention Rumspringa. Young adults are not fully part of their community till they go to this rite of passage. In this case, they are baptize. If they decide not to be part of the community, they are free to go.

As I said in my other posts, It would have been great that the First People of this Continent would have adopt some of this strategies and keep a more traditional lifestyle, hunting and gathering, raising children in their culture out of public schools.

I would like to create a community based in this strategies with several families. If you are interested, let me know. We can talk a develop this idea.

All the best