Quit Facebook

(Jeff) #41

Little late to the game it seems here (though I guess time is relative). While not directly quitting facebook as I use to sell old things I’m getting rid of and manage pages I have removed it from my phone (the main platform I use it on). Relegated solely to my laptop to access it which I only have access to at home I find that the ease of accessibility is what had me wasting more time on the site. The effort of accessing it through my computer drastically reduced my time on the site so much that I simply checked it once yesterday and that was it. I am working towards removing the other social media sites as well (or drastically reducing the need to be on them). I haven’t used twitter in years, I’ve deleted most of the “following” on instagram except for some of the people I follow in the rewilding/permaculture/feralculture community finding most of the stuff I followed superfluous anyway. I can’t really think of too much social media apps/sites that I use aside from those big ones. I can say after one day I already feel more free, less anxiety and the benefits. I know it’s only been one day but it’s nice to finally be free.

(joan underhill) #42

an update to corroborate: the guy i’m working for part time this summer also had a ‘local’ site for his neighborhood north of anchorage: http://www.flatlake.com/ he’s no longer managing it, as he doesn’t live there any more. and it’s not a message board. but the neighborhood is centered around a lake, which of course can only be accessed in certain ways depending on recent weather.

so the site has been used as 75% ice updates and 25% random notes, stories, and photo album in the past. it seems to currently be migrating heavier in the direction of stories/pictures, but my sense is that the locals still rely on someone who lives out there full time for ice condition updates.

definitely something that most small towns in alaska rely on - weather/river/lake condition updates.

(joan underhill) #43

thanks for posting those articles, by the way, @andrew. i read them last night & today & found them helpful. i’ve been 95% off facebook since the new year, and am having very little issue with it. have only been on there to ‘shop’ for bits of furniture on local sales groups once every few weeks. and i can do that offline, at the thrift stores, or by word of mouth. SO… i’m done.

i’ve left two abusive relationships in my life (plus fought tooth & nail for a few years to help my mom leave my dad), and this feels mildly similar. i’ve tried to leave several times (starting in 2012, when i had already been homesteading and mostly offline for several years), worried about the hurt i would cause by doing so, worried about leaving a positive legacy, etc. anxious about what i’d be missing out on, wondered whether it was worth it to leave. i’m done now.

first try:

second try:

third time’s the charm:

(Andrew) #44

I’ve been developing this idea. Even bought a domain name and registered a bunch of social media profiles. Duhn duhn duhnnnnnnn…

(joan underhill) #45

another win:

(Michelle Nickles) #46

I haven’t quit FB yet, but I did delete it from my phone… I am also going back to a flip phone next month. How does one get along without fb, I have some friends that is the only way to connect with?

(joan underhill) #47

i haven’t had that issue yet - since i had attempted to leave fb several times, i had gathered phone numbers and e-mail addresses for friends who weren’t local & stayed in touch that way. though i also don’t have a very extensive social network - i have friends in a variety of places, i’m just not often in touch with them.

flip phones are awesome! good for you. the smartphone i currently have (just got in may) was bought for me for one of my jobs this summer, as i need several apps for that work. i’m looking forward to turning it off all winter, somehow. i don’t allow any of the apps on there to do notifications, that would drive me up a wall.

(Dennis Lanigan) #48

I finally left fb two weeks ago. Don’t miss it. I am on Instagram and Twitter so I’m still dopamine dosing, so don’t think I am doing myself many favors.

(Lloyd ) #49

I guess I only get on these things for dopamine as well. I don’t get on, sink into anyone’s drama or post political jargon etc. . . I simply enjoy watching a few others in their rewilding lifestyles, mostly pictures. Otherwise I don’t really do anything, I post here and there, as well photos of projects or things like that.