Quit Facebook

Got some little happy tears for you there. Enjoy it!

Are your podcast followers real supporters though? Do they support your ideas and projects? I had thousands of “friends” and “followers” on facegoogletwitterinstagrambook at one point and when I posted up that I was suicidal and needed to sell tools for pennies on the dollar to buy dog food because my neck was so swolen up that I couldn’t see, much less work, my mom, a few local friends, and an amazing homefree woman in Spain, were the only ones that responded at all.

These are just thoughts here, and I’m only posting them to encourage a little deeper investigation into the beast that your participation enables, but if you’re successful on a corporate site, over a connection that’s owned and managed by terrible corporations and governments, what does that implicate? I’ve found that when I was spreading general dissent and ideas that didn’t really threaten the establishment, like permaculture, homesteading, and earthships for instance(all rely upon property, therefore, government, and markets), I had no problems, but every time I shared the idea of combining gift economy, minimalism, and immediate return ideas into a modern nomadic culture, my reach on those sites was limited by what’s called a soft ban, I was warned, and eventually banned completely. Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Youtube, Instagram, Reddit, and many more. Same formula.

I haven’t heard your podcast and mean no offense at all. Just throwing my ideas and experiences and thoughts out there. If you can make dancing with the devil work for you, go for it, just be ready for him to try to lick you behind the ear someday. :wink:

After ten years of searching for tribe on the internet I’ve fully realized that real tribe only counts if it’s in real life, and finding real tribe in real life is generally only possible by fearlessly and openly living exactly how you want to live.

(joan underhill) #24

i’m off facebook today. put up relevant cover photos w/contact info on pages & profile. not deactivating b/c i want the few posts i left on my timeline to stay there, at least for now.

since spring 2014 i had only been using fb to forward posts from our blog to our ‘page’ - and then over the last three months we’ve had daily internet access (first time in 8 years), and facebook became a thing for me again. there were some perks - i’d been mostly offline for long enough to have missed seeing a lot of growth in the rewilding community & lots of change/upheaval in the country at large. made some good connections that i hope will continue away from fb. we shall see.

i’m glad there are a handful of other folks doing this at the same time - maybe we can switch over to here & rewild.com forums with enough momentum to keep the feeling of good company rolling. i’ll be doing my best in that direction, since i’ve been a consistent blogger since adolescence & can maybe translate that habit into livelier conversations here. :heart:

tip from leaving fb in 2014: if you want to go out with some laughs, you can make your last post a ‘life event’ post, choose ‘health/wellness’ and then ‘overcoming an illness’ - you can name that illness ‘overcoming facebook’ & write details & it’ll give you a big 'ol badge for your accomplishment :smile:

(Michelle Nickles) #25

I am thinking about deleting FB soon… Not sure because of my blog…

(Andrew) #26

Here’s one strategy for being able to still post content to pages, but not have to get sucked into all the chaos: Set up a 2nd account and make it admin of your Page(s). Don’t add any “friends” or like any pages, and just use it to post to the page and respond to messages. After that’s done, you can deactivate your primary account. Facebook actually warns you when you go to deactivate if there are any pages that don’t have other admins before you deactivate, so that’s a way to double-check.

If you reactivate your primary account at a later date, it will still be attached to your pages.

You also need to make sure to sever the links facesuck has to other sites and apps like instagram etc. …logging into those sites can reactivate your facebook addiction …i mean account.

(Andrew) #28

Perhaps this is a good time to bring up that if you log in to these forums via Facebook, the account is automatically linked to the email address linked to your Facebook account when you signed up here. If you have that email, you can skip the facebook login and not miss a beat. It may be necessary to do a password reset in the forums if you didn’t set one previously.

(Michelle Nickles) #29

@andrew Thank you for that, I have followed your advice, and it is freeing!

(Andrew) #30

Some useful advice. And some funny.

(joan underhill) #31

awesome article. also funny. the one thing i liked about the interior was that the town of mcgrath has an online message board where everyone posts what’s going on. here in kechikan everyone uses facebook. so i am legitimately missing out on events/info on local happenings and wish i wasn’t. but facebook still isn’t worth it.

(Andrew) #32

Even Science™ agrees.

Prior research has shown that the use of social media may detract from face-to-face relationships, reduce investment in meaningful activities, increase sedentary behavior by encouraging more screen time, lead to internet addiction, and erode self-esteem through unfavorable social comparison. Self-comparison can be a strong influence on human behavior, and because people tend to display the most positive aspects of their lives on social media, it is possible for an individual to believe that their own life compares negatively to what they see presented by others. But some skeptics have wondered if perhaps people with lower well-being are more likely to use social media, rather than social media causing lower well-being…

…while real-world social networks were positively associated with overall well-being, the use of Facebook was negatively associated with overall well-being. These results were particularly strong for mental health; most measures of Facebook use in one year predicted a decrease in mental health in a later year. We found consistently that both liking others’ content and clicking links significantly predicted a subsequent reduction in self-reported physical health, mental health, and life satisfaction.

Our models included measures of real-world networks and adjusted for baseline Facebook use. When we accounted for a person’s level of initial well-being, initial real-world networks, and initial level of Facebook use, increased use of Facebook was still associated with a likelihood of diminished future well-being. This provides some evidence that the association between Facebook use and compromised well-being is a dynamic process.

Although we can show that Facebook use seems to lead to diminished well-being, we cannot definitively say how that occurs.

(Andrew) #33

I have, for over a year, been contemplating launching a non-facebook forum for locals. It seems like a better idea after hearing this report.

(Zachary Daniel Jones) #34

Thanks everyone for the push. I finally deactivated facebook. May try the idea of second account to manage pages, because it seems to be the only way to keep up with local events for permaculture and skill building. For now, i am too busy for anything other than the land in front of me, so dont really need it.
Just wanted to say Hi and thanks for the extra push i needed.

I deactivated a couple weeks ago and the feeling has been mixed. On the one hand, I love it. I’m reading more, creating more, and am glad to have some relief from the insanities of the facebook. On the other hand, I am left having to acknowledge how USEFUL facebook was as a platform to reach people, such as when I share links, projects, or update my blog. It was a good centralized resource for all that and now I have to find other ways to reach people. Which is different. I think I’ll keep my account deactivated until at least the end of the winter, and may consider reactivating for no other purpose than business with the aim and staying apart from,the nonsense. This present break has been helpful in refocusing my energies.

(Andrew) #36

The last sentence…

Some people are terrified that these services are listening in to their private conversations. (The company’s anti-privacy tentacles go so far as to track the dust on your phone to see who you might be spending time with.) Others are sick of getting into an argument with a long-lost cousin, or that guy from high school who still works in the same coffee shop, over something that Trump said, or a “news” article that is full of more bias and false facts. And then there’s the main reason I think people are abandoning these platforms: Facebook knows us better than we know ourselves, with its algorithms that can predict if we’re going to cheat on our spouse, start looking for a new job, or buy a new water bottle on Amazon in a few weeks. It knows how to send us the exact right number of pop-ups to get our endorphins going, or not show us how many Likes we really have to set off our insecurities. As a society, we feel like we’re at war with a computer algorithm, and the only winning move is not to play.

Starting a hyperboria node up there would probably be futile but you’d be setting a great example! I wish that diaspora could handle longer times between exchanges so it would work with meshnets. I think a text only social media/forum type site that gives people access to local meshnets is going to be the wave of the future as far as open source, free comm tech goes. Keeping it text only conserves bandwidth, promotes it as a tool to spread information and communicate rather than to entertain and distract, and it prevents node managers from getting in trouble for hosting illegal images. If I’m ever able to set up some kind of refuge node or host any off grid events, a forum connected over a meshnet is definitely on the menu.

(Andrew) #38

Those in our Facebook group probably noticed I deactivated my personal account again. It’s still pretty annoying that the price of me tapping out is that all of the conversations I started and all of the images I posted in the group disappear. The all in or all out structure of corporate platforms is a trap.

(Andrew) #39

(Andrew) #40

Some small chinks in the narrative of the technoculture in mainstream discourse…

Zuckerberg isn’t a cynic; he’s a techno-fundamentalist, and that’s an equally unhealthy habit of mind. It creates the impression that technology exists outside, beyond, even above messy human decisions and relations, when the truth is that no such gap exists. Society is technological. Technology is social. Tools, as Marshall McLuhan told us more than fifty years ago, are extensions of ourselves. They amplify and distort our strengths and our flaws…

The problem with Facebook is Facebook.