Wolves came up to the house yesterday

(BenSpiritbear) #1

Yesterday around 3 in the afternoon 4 wolves came up to the front porch about 8-10’ from it. Honestly was a little surprised by it. I’ve never known them to come that close. I’m assuming they were hungry but I know theres lots of game around. My two great Pyrenees got into a fight with them and ran them off. The dogs were ok. It was a sight to see for sure.

Edit: I say wolves because they were much larger than coyotes. They could have been coywolves. I didn’t get a good chance to ask them.

(Dennis Lanigan) #2

Does that mean you have lots of whitetail deer as well?

(BenSpiritbear) #3

Yes, we have lots here. The top of the ridge just east of the cabin is a clearing and I’ve seen 150+ deer in that clearing at once. That’s maybe a 1/2 mile from the house.

(BenSpiritbear) #4

I’ve seen a bear and mountain lion on the property as well.

(Andrew) #5

Exciting! We’ve seen a couple wolves in/around camp. This is one reason we don’t have dogs (yet?).

(BenSpiritbear) #6

Wolves are a rare sight here so I never gave it much thought with having dogs. They are mostly here as protection from other predators. I am glad we have large guard dogs though. They are great for guarding livestock (which we don’t have) but also are good family guard dogs. Having small children around I felt we should have something.

(Dennis Lanigan) #7

Uhhhh…this is the hide tanner in me talking but with lots of oak and white tails you could make amazing leather. I could send you my manual if you are interested. Easier on the back than buckskin.

(BenSpiritbear) #8

I would take any advice from someone more experienced. I used to tan more when I was younger but havent in a few years. I have a few hides ready to start and plan on getting more. I’ve spread the word and I could probably have all I want. Most of the hunters around here process their own and just toss the hides to the dogs. Ive been told by several I could have theirs if I wanted so its something I’m getting back into.

(Dennis Lanigan) #9

Here’s a mule deer I bark tanned. It’s what I am doing for money right now, so I know some but not everything. Email me and I’ll send you my bark tanning manual right back. I need more people to try it out and give me feedback on it. Dennis.lanigan at Gmail

(BenSpiritbear) #10

Thank you. Sent. That one looks very nice!