Some accounts* may experience a change in login procedure—this is normal. Because of differences in the various systems we have integrated, you may experience login issues and/or duplicate accounts depending on how you originally entered and/or signed up for this site. Here are common problems and their solutions. *Accounts created on or after June 2, 2015 are mainly exempt from this. However, reading the Notes below may be helpful in the future.
User accounts are linked to email addresses. Therefore, if you create an account with a work email address, and you then sign up with a Facebook profile that’s under a personal email address, two accounts will be created. On the other hand, if you create an account with an email address, and later login from a Facebook account that has the same email address, everything should link together nicely. We will soon activate other login options (Twitter, Google, etc.), and this will apply to those logins as well. If you use the same email address everywhere, you should be golden.
If you logged in (today or in the past) with…
WordPress / Username & Password
- Reset your password [CRUCIAL]. Accounts initiated in WordPress do not generate passwords for the new Discourse forums. So this process is called a reset, but it is really setting a new password. Obviously, a password is required.
- Verify your email address [Important]. This is required by the Discourse system to function properly. It should be correct (unless you registered or logged in with Facebook, see below), but it’s a good idea to check. Email addresses are never shown to the public
- Update your username [optional]. This username is used for tagging, and you may change it to your preference.
When registering in with Facebook, usernames are auto-generated and no password is generated. This is a problem for this system to function properly, as all accounts are tied to email addresses, and you can easily get locked out of the system if your email address is not valid.
The order of these steps is important. Please do not jump to step 2 or 3 without doing step 1.
Go to: Profile > Preferences
- Add/Update your email address [CRUCIAL]. Facebook does not always pass along your email address, and this is required by the Discourse system to function properly. Seriously, this is important. Email addresses are never shown to the public
- Change your username [optional]. Some Facebook logins automatically generate usernames based on firstnamelastname from Facebook. This username is used for tagging, and you may change it to your preference. This allows you to log in by username/password and Facebook.
- Change/set your password [recommended]. Do not do this without first changing your email address or you will be locked out.