Wild Resistance and primal anarchy discussion

(Agnes Seitz) #1

Wild resistance and primal anarchy – issue 6 Black and Green Review and changes in words

E version is out and as always interesting essays and discussions- and a challenging start …

To the captives Kevin Tucker Essay –
Kevin discusses the change in words/ semantics from anarcho-primitivism to primal anarchy….
Here are a couple quotes how he approaches it…

“ For nearly the past two decades, I have loudly called myself an anarcho-primitivist. I’ve found both grounding and a place within an¬archo-primitivism. It’s helped define a place to learn and fight from. But, like all things, it’s important to realize limitations as well. Is this new ground, or are we still on enemy turf? “

“It’s felt increasingly apparent that the name is a limitation, attaching itself to two different lineages—anarchism and primitivism—neither of which is necessarily fitting in its own right. Anarcho-primitivism becomes the square peg, tethered to sets of rules that are neither ap¬plicable nor useful.
I’ve increasingly used another phrase: primal anarchy. As both anarchism and primitivism seem to quickly wither and decay on their own, I’m only finding more reasons to embrace that term entirely. “

“ We can once again become grounded in the world that exists, rather than remain stuck with the divided, mapped, and claimed real¬ity that we were born into.
We have the chance to realize that we were never really gone in the first place. “

Not quite sure myself where I stand on this - yet :blush:
as always, we learn and what we orient ourselves on changes along our journey. So- does / will this change in semantics give us the room to remove another layer of the narrative we travel along And most important… isn’t feralculture the actualization of exactly this … ??
Definitely worth checking out…and get a few discussions going- anyone ?

(Kevin Tucker) #2

Thanks for posting this @yukonagnes
I’ve been thinking about posting that whole essay online, just dragging my feet since I’m always underwater with shit. But I think it’s good for the discussion, which I should say, has been going on for a while.
In terms of primal anarchy, I’ve been using the term since 2004 (I’m currently editing for the second edition of For Wildness and Anarchy so going through my older writings and seeing it). In that sense, my own preference for the terminology is pretty long standing. I’m tempted to explain it a bit more than the quotes above, but it’s making me think I should just post the essay up instead since explaining it was the purpose.

On the subject, we also changed Black and Green Review to Wild Resistance: A Journal of Primal Anarchy, for similar reasons: the old frameworks have become limiting in a sense. I feel like this frees things up a bit and hopefully sheds some old baggage.
But I hope people take interest in check the journal out. I’m really stoked on an interview block in this issue: 3 interviews (Luis Felipe Torres Espinoza, Madhusree Mukerjee, and Sita Venkateswar) all dealing with voluntarily isolated societies. Clearly I’m stoked on the journal, but I’ll always have the things I’m most excited about and that cluster is one of them.

(Mandy Szostek) #3

I like the Primal Anarchy much better!!!

especially when you say, that this is about beong born onto this world, and not accepting the grids and conditions we are given.

because, primitivism comes with its entire history of tribal living and our knowledge of its past, via anthropology.

the ecology and the freedom necessary, to live these primitive ways, is no longer possible

now this primal anarchy, is something new- its tapping into something ancient, to find freedom in the present

also: anarchist movements entail the destruction of the current system. how to actually conquer and destroy … what… 7 billion people, it makes no practical sense, as couched in the traditional anarchist terms

(Mandy Szostek) #4

and also, using the word PRIMITIVISM in its traditional sense, implies tribalism…which is impossible also…

obviously, the people in modern society are not in tribal structures, and have not learned from generations …it is the opposite; we were taught to regard ourselves as individuals, and as for the ways of the land, we know nothing.

so, i love the new term, bc using the old terms are confusing and forced, and impossible to fulfill

(Kevin Tucker) #5

Went ahead and posted the essay: https://www.wildresistance.org/news/2019/2/3/wr6-to-the-captives-kevin-tucker

(Keith Blunt) #6

I was a bit on the fence about the name change when I heard it officially mentioned on the Primal Anarchy podcast, and so reserved discussion or judgement until I had read the essay. Having read the essay several times now (call me a nerd), I’m really liking the name change—to the point that I’m posting the essay to various discussion groups that are related to this subject on social media. So far, the feedback has all been positive.

(Mandy Szostek) #7

Kevin,

I really like how you explained this; the way in which primal anarchy is a context from which to work from, a framework in which to understand what else is going on, and a place from which to interpret what is happening in the world. [overdomestication] . And from this context, you can understand how and why we humans should not become domesticated, and more precisely, what it is to be wild. To me, to be wild, is to keep ones fangs, to be in the way of sponteniety, senses open, many things like that. Kevin, i agree with you i think… on almost everything i have heard you say, or have read of yours…and, my misunderstanding came from this, thinking that, making primitive anarchism actually happen, as an actual goal, …in our lifetimes, and “fighting for it”… to me, that could only be achieved by somehow murdering most of the 7 billion ppl who are alive…and i think, when other ppl hear that, they are just as confused…like…? what does that entail, exactly. Personally, i think that a return to feral life could be possible, but would need population decreases worldwide… so, it would need to be voluntary, like Terence McKenna, saying, “if every living female were to have only one natural child…the population would halve itself… without war, wo violence, etc” and also, to get the consciousness of what it is to be feral, out into the general population, the characteristics, if those are adooted first, then, a more wild and natural way of life will ensue…Kevin, what is your idea of fighting , for us, right now? its something i still dont know. xxx much respect, mandy

(Keith Blunt) #8

Hi Mandy, I know your post isn’t addressed to me, but because it’s posted openly, I feel inclined to respond. Our current population of 7+ billion is only made possible by this civilization—a civilization that is in the midst of collapse. This collapse isn’t voluntary and most likely they never are. This civilization like all others before it is mindless—a positive feedback loop that consumes by turning everything it can into a ‘resource’ on this finite planet until something (food shortage, drastic climate change, etc.) interrupt’s the chain. In short, 7+ billion people—if any at all—won’t survive collapse. I will end on a positive note here: the Feralculture community—and perhaps if there are any others like it—offer hope that humans can return to a lifestyle that is ecologically in balance. I hope this helps. :wink:

If nothing else, if we drop the “primitive” thing and go more primal by following Nature’s law of using all resources at our disposal to adapt and survive, we can live fun nomadic, minimalist, “sustainable” lifestyles now, leading by example.

People, even a huge majority of those that claim to truly care about Nature, aren’t going to give up their wheels, roofs, and phones. I’m hoping to find some tribe to help me develop tech that provides those things in the most efficient, affordable, DIY, and environmentally friendly manner possible.

If the idea of communities getting together, building their own survival campers and living in flow with the land takes off, support for the consumer slavery system will decrease, monetarily and idealistically in the eyes of the masses. The very nature of the more natural nomadic, minimalist lifestyles enabled by these rolling, floating, energy producing, personal homes will automatically and peacefully check population growth as well. The independence they provide will put people on a level playing field and reduce their dependence upon civ.

It’s definitely time to create a culture for a new paradigm and the tech necessary to enable it.

Life keeps kicking the wind out of my sails but I’m finally getting good at rowing! I’ve got the parts, most of the tools, and am very close to having a mobile protoype lab again.