Waterproof hide glues?

rewilding
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f0308af34a0>

(Dennis Lanigan) #1

Continuing the discussion from DIY Winter Boots/Mukluks:

As per my plan of documenting this stuff so it doesn’t get lost and learning how to replace materials I can’t make myself (like Titebond II glue, which is used a lot in woodworking, shoemaking, boat building, and bowmaking): I found some stuff on hide glue making by Steven Edholm who is awesome. He doesn’t address waterproof glue, but does go into detail about how to make glue in the first place.

1. Steven’s paleotechnics blog articles on making hide glue.
  2. Steven has videos on making hide glue from a bull hide. Very detailed. And in a way gives an introduction to bark tanning as well, meaning you could follow all the steps and be ready to bark tan the hide when finished (if you didn’t mess up the grain).

(Kevin Tucker) #2

I feel like there is a whole lot of answers to this question in my head that the fog of rain and tired seem to be hiding too well. Pine pitch is one though which is also great for infections.
But I will say the benefit of wearing fur lined skin boots in the very cold is the cold itself. I used to wear fur lined (hair on) sheepskin boots pretty much all winter. They weren’t waterproof, but when I would do something like step through ice and get water on the boot, if I immediately submersed my boot in snow it would freeze the water before seeping through any substantial bit of the fur. That ended up keeping me warmer and dryer than any “waterproof” hiking boot I had used.

(Andrew) #3

The cold is your friend! I miss winter a lot lately.

The topic of waterproofing boots came up in the context of 25°F+ temps. Most of the winter here it’s not an issue. But spring and fall so have some challenges.

There is regularly overflow on the river that gets insulated between the snow layer and ice below. That snow/slush combo can be a hassle, especially if it gets in your snowshoe webbing.