The Wild Game Photo Thread

wildgame
photos
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fd9a04277b0> #<Tag:0x00007fd9a0427260>

(Andrew) #1

Show us your photos of wild meat. Specifically, post-butchering or cooking, and not trophy pics.

Spruce & Ruffed Grouse and Snowshoe Hare

Photo by @jenniferocious on instagram @jenniferbot

(Andrew) #2

Is a montage of meat a carnage?

Photo by @jenniferocious on instagram @jenniferbot

(BenSpiritbear) #3

I think these are from the latest deer I harvested. This one I ground 25lbs of meat from it. I know the grinder isn’t primitive but I’m ok with that. Thinking of hooking an old bike up to the flywheel for some peddle power.

(BenSpiritbear) #4

(Andrew) #5

Yup. Meat grinder, cider press, or DIY electricity.

(BenSpiritbear) #6

I recently had someone give me 5 bikes. None of them are complete but I can make at least one good bike from them and will use the rest to power this and other items.

(Andrew) #7

Some of the first spruce grouse I ever shot. Also my first experience with grayjays stealing meat (note one missing heart) when you turn away for a split second.

(Alexander Meander) #8

here is a venison prosciutto i began back on Samhain 2016 and was unveiled on the new moon in December 2017, so this was last winter. i posted this to facebook with some commentary, so i will copy and paste that with the accompanying images. by the way, i do not have a very good camera. :slight_smile:

post-brine: the learning curve of curing meat is underway. this leg o’ venison was pulled from the brine tonight, a brine it was first submerged in back on Samhain. this new moon it was liberated and rubbed with black peppercorns, as well as juniper berries i gathered in the Mojave Desert back in 2011. it is now to be hung in a room far from the woodstove, where the temperature stays between 50-60 degrees this time of year. in three weeks the unveiling will commence, and we will see if i have some venison prosciutto. i am sort of excited about this. blessings.

post-hang/fully cured: 1 month later / with the unveiling it appeared scary looking at first, which should be expected for those of us who grew up in a culture with a fear of mold. i did some research which quickly boosted confidence, washed it off well, and sliced into it to find a most beautifully dark pink meat that is just what i was hoping to see. smells great, tastes amazing!

dry-cured venison

in retrospect i wish i would have taken far more pictures of the process. i also wish i would have done a better job of keeping track of my notes and the recipe i used.

this was a very exciting first stab at curing meat this way. one is basically eating raw meat that is amazing in flavor and texture, very easy to digest, and probiotic. and of course, it can store for a period of time without refrigeration, particularly if the cut end is coated in fat after slicing.

(Jarosław Wątroba) #9

I’ve got half a roe from a local hunter and my archery instructor. My first serious butchering work. :slight_smile: Havn’t tried it yet though, for now it waits in the freezer for more of my free time.

And some of my fishing in Finland. Trout and Pike taste amazing, nothing like their storebought counterparts. I wish I had caught more of them! (The bowl I’ve made myself by butning with charcoal, took maybe 2h, the stew is made from pike’s head)

(Jennifer) #10

We cured and cold smoked beaver belly for 5 days, it’s not technically bacon, but it’s close enough for a first try. I hope to experiment a bit more this year.

Campfire roasted jackrabbits from the sagebrush desert up in the pinyon pines late fall.

(Andrew) #13

It’s always seemed weird to me that jackrabbits are considered inedible by the average American.

The one I got down by Bisbee, AZ had bot flies and parasites. E Oklahoma, TX panhandle and Central Kansas ones were pretty gross and definitely not worth messing with. Up in NE AZ, they’re like delicate white meat chicken.

I drooled and accidentally put out the pipe in my hand! haha

@andrew @Ernesto I didn’t know it was a thing that people didn’t like them… I think they’re amazing! It’s almost like dark meat chicken. These things are big too, that’s a lot of meat. Four or 5 of these is almost like a small deer. I did find a liver fluke in one of them – liver discarded, no biggie – but no bot flies (although I suppose if the weather was warm instead of cold that may be different!).

(Andrew) #17

I think the thing is that most people won’t even try them. Like, people will bring up “rabbit starvation” out of nowhere—as if adding hare (I believe technically, jackrabbits are hare) to one’s diet means only eating jackrabbit until renal failure. It’s bizarre.

But as with almost everything, I chalk it up as mythology to keep people dependent on grocery stores.

Before moving to Alaska, I was working on a plan to live in a corner of a 160 acre pivot-irrigated field. The concept was to pitch free rent to farmers in exchange for hunting jackrabbits and coyotes. And then, to prove one could subsist on rabbit and coyote (and whatever else) in an HG way for basically free.

Farmers rarely use the corners left empty from circular irrigation in square fields. I calculated it once, and I think each corner is like 4 acres. Just a thought experiment at this point though.

For sure! and good thought experiment. As far as rabbit starvation goes, I eat the brains and eyes too, which theoretically provides enough fats to stave off protein poisoning AFAIK. Not to mention how tasty they are.

(joan underhill) #19

i figured i’d mix it up with some ocean-based ‘game’ - i’m working as a summer harbormaster, & a guy who’s in and out of our office all the time apparently makes a habit of offering part of his shrimp catch to all the ladies that work for the harbor. which now includes me :grin: so one evening i was shown this big 'ol laundry tub full and told to fill a few ziploc baggies. alaska is one place where regular gifting of wild foods is still very much a thing.

(Lloyd ) #20

I’m hoping to post some photos of some crayfish I’m planning to try to catch on a creek 20 miles from the west Oregon coast. As well as crabs and clams and mussels.
But all these Alaska flicks got me believing I will have to migrate there for summer next spring. My dad goes often and your very right wild game is still gifted.
Last summer I was living in north Penna at my cabin and eating mostly rice and beans and wheat flour and dandy greens and my neighbor gave me bear burger my god was that a gift. As well I killed a huge mother rabbit with a pellet gun and that was worthy of tears. I cooked everything including boiling her in her own blood with salt water.