Planning on tapping some walnut trees

(Alexander Meander) #21

awesome to hear bout your success! how is the sap as far as drinking it? i have been wanting to toy with black walnut syrup as an alternative to maple syrup here in the warmer parts of NC. they leaf out much later, leaving a better window to gather.

if you are willing to trade a small amount i would love to try it. i know it is very labor intensive and i would expect any trade to reflect that (acorn flour? though my mill is still broken at the moment :frowning: ) . let me know if you think this is possible and we can go from there.

thanks for keeping us posted!

(joan underhill) #22

ditto those asking for updates - now that the sap season is over, what were your concluding thoughts? how much did you end up with? sounds like your initial trial run of 6 gallons gave you a 48:1 sap:syrup ratio, which isn’t bad - very similar to silver maples in the UP of Michigan.

thanks for sharing the experiment; would be lovely to see average people tapping all these various sap trees and only using their own local sweeteners (sorghum, honey, & cane sugar included where appropriate). i love seeing more information like this get disseminated. :heart: