Owning the Land: a blessing or a curse - Hunter-Gatherer perspective

hunting
philosophy
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fd99d3c10a8> #<Tag:0x00007fd99d3c0f68>

(Jeff) #22

I like to think of myself as a steward as well. Unfortunately in the US you don’t have full rights to use the land as you please unless you “own” it. Even then there are things you’re not allowed to do. I found myself bregrudgingly mowing the little lawn I have (leaving as much to grow wild as possible) because I know if I didn’t mow the lawn I could be fined or have action taken against me by my neighbors. I am also looking to have more access to allow wild lands to grow back and purchase land next to me (about 25 acres) to foster an outdoor behavioral health therapy location since there are none where I am. There are benefits and cons to owning land but sometimes we are only able to freely use the land as we please if we “own” it unless we find people or nice neighbors. The benefits of not being completely nomadic and having some land is that we are also able to learn the land and fauna/flora more intimately each season and apply that to further enhance our understanding and knowledge of the unique ecosystem we have adapted to.

(Andrew) #23

I agree with the benefits in this. I also think it’s absolutely possible to live a regionally nomadic life and likely gain a deeper understanding and connection to the ecosystem(s) we inhabit.

A point that I probably rambled too long to remember making in another recent post was that feral diet strategies are difficult to combine with land ownership/settled, permaculture/ag based lifestyles because the time/energy commitment to the farm inherently limits the movement necessary for more feral diets.

(Andrew) #25

One of the central concepts of this project that’s different from others is the idea of buying the smallest chunks of land with the largest access to hunting and fishing. While this does pose a limit in some sense of the word, I don’t think it’s a functional limit if properties are selected with purpose.

Working at it from the other direction was part of the impetus for this post comparing paleo, permaculture and feralculture diet concepts.

That’s why I love this project so much. It’s actually doable. Buying small pieces of land to conserve that are near big pieces of public land makes a ton of sense on many levels.