Mountain Spring Development

water
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fd99f79d1c0>

(Andrew) #1

Some while back, I happened upon an old foundation up in the hills. All that was there were some old stumps and a gold pan. It didn’t immediately make sense why it would be there, but upon further exploration, I found a small spring some yards away. I’ve been kind of enamored of the location since, and have visited it at various times of the year to check for water.

Initial exploration:

Looking downhill & closeup of source:

Jennifer and I hiked up there last night. Upon arrival, I was pretty disappointed because it looked damp, but there wasn’t much apparent flow. However, after pulling off decades of leaf litter and accumulated soil, there was definitely a significant amount of water coming through the rocks under the subsoil. In a forest of lush moss, it was a bit of a surprise to find chunky rocks so close to the surface. There’s a noticeable depression where it has been flowing for many years, and several areas of wet mud, which also have rocks just under the mucky surface.

Looking uphill:

Does anyone have experience “developing” springs in a low-tech, low-impact way? It’s on a downhill slope, and definitely susceptible to surface water runoff if it’s just left open. Everything I’ve found thus far about using springs talks about elaborate casings with cement and cinder blocks and all kinds of craziness. I guess that’s fine if you’re into that sort of thing, but even if I wanted to do that, I wouldn’t want to schlep all that junk way up into the hills.

The picture shows the old foundation, and was taken during a winter visit (obvs).

(Andrew) #2