🔋 Battery Bank for solar and generator

off-grid
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007ff0b74d7970> #<Tag:0x00007ff0b74d7830>

The batter reclamation process can easily be done by hand. No special tools necessary. Most rinsing can be done with regular water. The distilled water could be made in a makeshift solar still and just get used for the final rinse before putting the electrolyte back in.

Looted? By humans? That sucks! Maybe time to start making some booby traps and doing some sting operations.

(Andrew) #22

Yep…a good booby trap will definitely be necessary on future visits. Humans really suck sometimes. I really wish I could help in some way.

(Andrew) #24

How important is the initial recharge? I’ve been reading elsewhere that this requires a constant slow charge for 7-10 days. Easy with grid power, but not an option for us.

I’d actually recommend a relatively high amperage pulse charge up to %70 capacity, then a slow charge to top it off.

Does the boat have a motor/battery? If it does, you could get it running and use jumper cables to charge your solar batteries one at a time.

This guy’s designed a pretty good little desulfator but you need an AC power source for it.

(Andrew) #28

Nope. Well, there’s a motor, but I have no idea what the electrical output is like. In any case, it’s getting below freezing, so it’s not going to be an option by the time I figure out salt and distilled water and all the other bits and pieces.

All we have is a gas generator with minimum output of 450W. This all seems like a microcosm of the extent to which “off-grid technology” is still mostly dependent on the grid.

(Andrew) #29

Was able to get a few gallons of distilled water and some epsom salts to camp thanks to bizarrely [don’t call it global] warm[ing in certain company] weather. Any links to very specific steps for this process? I’ve found conflicting info.

The whole dang internet is conflicting info. I just tried a bunch of it and found the most success with the method I detailed above.